Turkish citizenship can be acquired after birth with a decision of the competent authority, being subject to the below stated conditions and regulations, as well as by adoption or by choice for the children of the mothers or fathers who renounced Turkish citizenship by obtaining renunciation permission. There are many ways of application to acquire Turkish citizenship with a decision of the competent authority and the general principles of the same are as follows:
1. Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship in General
The general conditions required to acquire Turkish citizenship after birth with a decision of the competent authority are as follows:
- To be mature and having the power of discernment as defined by the laws of the applicant’s own country, and if the applicant is stateless to be mature and having the power of discernment as defined by the Turkish legislation
- To have been resident in Turkey for five years, without interruption, prior to her/his date of
- To have intention to settle in Turkey and having taken actions that demonstrate this intent;
- To be free from any disease that threatens public health;
- To be a person of good morals;
- To have an adequate command of the Turkish language;
- To have sufficient income or occupation in Turkey to provide for the livelihood of his or her own and any dependents;
- To pose no threat to national security and public order.
Furthermore, in addition to the above stated conditions, the condition of renouncement of their current citizenship may be required for the foreigners, who wish to acquire Turkish citizenship with a decision of the competent authority, being subject to the discretion of the council of ministers.
2. Exceptions in Acquiring Turkish Citizenships
Acquisition of Turkish citizenship in exceptional cases shall occur by the proposal of the Ministry and the decision of the Council of Ministers. The foreigners stated in the code may apply for the acquisition of Turkish citizenship if there is no obstacle in terms of national security and public order. The foreigners who may apply for the exceptional acquisition are as follows:
- The persons who provide industrial facilities in Turkey or have rendered or believed to render in the future an outstanding service in the social or economic arena or in the fields of science, technology, sports, culture or arts and regarding whom a reasoned offer is made by the relevant ministries.
- The persons who have residence permit under the relevant legislation or the Turkuaz Card, and the foreign spouse of the said persons and the minor or dependent foreign children of the applicant and his/her spouse
- The persons who are required to acquire citizenship
- The persons who are recognized as migrants.
- Provided fulfilling the following conditions, the persons who invest in over a certain level, who provide employment or purchase immovable in Turkey,
- Investing at least $2.000.000 fixed capital (Investment must be confirmed by Ministry of Economy),
- Purchasing an immovable property of at least $1.000.000 with a title deed restriction of not to sell for 3 years. (Purchasing must be confirmed by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization),
- Providing employment to at least 100 individuals as the employer (Employment must be confirmed by Ministry of Labour and Social Security)
- Investing at least $3.000.000 in a bank operating in Turkey with the condition of not to withdraw for at least three years. (Investment must be confirmed by Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency),
- Holding government bonds of at least $3.000.000 with the condition of not to sell for three years (Investment must be confirmed by Under secretariat of Treasury)
- Having purchased at least $1.500.000 worth of real estate investment funds or venture capital investment funds and hold ownership for 3 years (Purchasing and holding must be confirmed by Capital Markets Board of Turkey)
3. Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship
Provided that the conditions stipulated in the code are fulfilled, the foreigners stated below can apply for re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship:
- The persons whose Turkish citizenship has been revoked by renunciation permission and the persons who renounced their Turkish citizenship being subject to their mothers and fathers and have not used their right of choice in due of time can apply regardless of their residence period in Turkey.
- The persons whose Turkish citizenship has been revoked by the decision of the Council of Ministers or who had renounced their Turkish citizenship by using their right of choice, provided that they have been residing in Turkey for three years
4. Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship by Marriage
The marriage with a Turkish citizen does not directly give the right to acquire Turkish citizenship to a foreigner. The foreigners who have been married a Turkish citizen for at least three years have the right to apply to acquire Turkish citizenship. The applicants must provide the conditions of to live in unity of family and to avoid acts which do not comply with the union of marriage. Furthermore, the applicants shall not pose a threat to national security and public order.
Providing all the general principles regarding the acquirement of the Turkish Citizenship after birth by the decision of the competent authorities does not give an absolute right to acquire Turkish citizenship to the persons. The persons who provide all conditions and application documents would have right to apply to relevant authorities and the acceptance of applications and acquisition of Turkish citizenship are at sole discretion of the relevant authorities.
The support of a law firm regarding the process of apply for and to acquire Turkish citizenship will be effective for the conclusion of the process in your favour and as soon as possible.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information. K&P Legal is ready to assist you regarding this subject and more.