Turkish citizenship can be acquired after birth with a decision of the competent authority, being subject to the below stated conditions and regulations, as well as by adoption or by choice for the children of the mothers or fathers who renounced Turkish citizenship by obtaining renunciation permission. There are many ways of application to acquire Turkish citizenship with a decision of the competent authority and the general principles of the same are as follows:
1. Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship in General
The general conditions required to acquire Turkish citizenship after birth with a decision of the competent authority are as follows:
- To be mature and having the power of discernment as defined by the laws of the applicant’s own country, and if the applicant is stateless to be mature and having the power of discernment as defined by the Turkish legislation
- To have been resident in Turkey for five years, without interruption, prior to her/his date of
- To have intention to settle in Turkey and having taken actions that demonstrate this intent;
- To be free from any disease that threatens public health;
- To be a person of good morals;
- To have an adequate command of the Turkish language;
- To have sufficient income or occupation in Turkey to provide for the livelihood of his or her own and any dependents;
- To pose no threat to national security and public order.
Furthermore, in addition to the above stated conditions, the condition of renouncement of their current citizenship may be required for the foreigners, who wish to acquire Turkish citizenship with a decision of the competent authority, being subject to the discretion of the council of ministers.
2. Exceptions in Acquiring Turkish Citizenships
Foreigners who meet any of the following criteria may be eligible for Turkish citizenship, subject to the decision of the President of the Republic of Turkey:
- Made a minimum fixed capital investment of USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira, as attested by the Ministry of Industry and Technology
- Acquired a property worth a minimum of USD 250,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira with a title deed restriction on its resale for at least three years, as attested by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization
- Created jobs for at least 50 people, as attested by the Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Services
- Deposited at least USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira in banks operating in Turkey with the condition not to withdraw the same for at least three years, as attested by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency
- Bought at least USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira worth of government bonds with the condition that they cannot be sold for at least three years, as attested by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance
- Bought at least USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira worth of real estate investment fund share or venture capital investment fund share with the condition that they cannot be sold for at least three years, as attested by the Capital Markets Board of Turkey
3. Re-acquisition of Turkish Citizenship
Provided that the conditions stipulated in the code are fulfilled, the foreigners stated below can apply for re-acquisition of Turkish citizenship:
- The persons whose Turkish citizenship has been revoked by renunciation permission and the persons who renounced their Turkish citizenship being subject to their mothers and fathers and have not used their right of choice in due of time can apply regardless of their residence period in Turkey.
- The persons whose Turkish citizenship has been revoked by the decision of the Council of Ministers or who had renounced their Turkish citizenship by using their right of choice, provided that they have been residing in Turkey for three years
4. Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship by Marriage
The marriage with a Turkish citizen does not directly give the right to acquire Turkish citizenship to a foreigner. The foreigners who have been married a Turkish citizen for at least three years have the right to apply to acquire Turkish citizenship. The applicants must provide the conditions of to live in unity of family and to avoid acts which do not comply with the union of marriage. Furthermore, the applicants shall not pose a threat to national security and public order.
Providing all the general principles regarding the acquirement of the Turkish Citizenship after birth by the decision of the competent authorities does not give an absolute right to acquire Turkish citizenship to the persons. The persons who provide all conditions and application documents would have right to apply to relevant authorities and the acceptance of applications and acquisition of Turkish citizenship are at sole discretion of the relevant authorities.
The support of a law firm regarding the process of apply for and to acquire Turkish citizenship will be effective for the conclusion of the process in your favour and as soon as possible.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information. K&P Legal is ready to assist you regarding this subject and more.